How To Choose A Domain Name For Your Website
In this article, we are going to talk about how to choose a domain name for your website using the keyword strategy from the previous step. If you missed the step on how to find the top keywords for your site, you can always go back and check it out. I’ll be using some of that information to help you find a domain name for your website.
Top Tips for Choosing A Domain Name
- Make it short and relatively simple. Don’t choose a really long domain name.
- Don’t use numbers or hyphens, if possible
- Use keywords wherever possible
- Don’t use a branded name, i.e.,Nike, Dell, Channel, etc. in your domain name
- Be sure to research the name(s) you are considering
Choosing A Domain Name
When looking for a domain name, it helps to have a keyword in your domain name wherever possible. This will help your target audience find your site. Another thing to consider is the extension of your domain name or the type of domain name your want. This will depend on your chosen niche.
Using a list of keywords from the previous step, write down possible domain names. I recommend a list of 5. Then rank those names from 1 to 5. One being the one you want the most. Then decide what extension you want based on the information below. Once you have your domain name possibilities, you can see if any of those names are available.
Domain Name Types:
- .com: represents commercial and is the most widely used extension and most recognized
- .edu: represents education sites
- .gov: government sites in the U.S.
- .net: represents Internet; used primarily by Internet companies
- .org: organization; used primarily for non-profit organizations
- .biz: small business websites
- .info: signifies a resource website
- .co.uk: United Kingdom; can be used by anyone
- .eu: European Union; can only be acquired if you have a registered business within the EU.
The image below shows you how to find and purchase a domain name using the SiteRubix control panel. Clicking on the box as indicated with the arrow will take you straight to the search screen where you can purchase your domain name.
You can see below that I chose the search term: top rated food processors. This is an actual keyword phrase with a good QSR at the time of this writing. When you enter in your chosen domain name be sure to remove any spaces between words. You can also personalize your name a bit more by putting in your first name such as janestopratedfoodprocessors. I realize that this name is long and breaks the rule I mentioned about but I use it only for demonstration purposes! 😉
You can see the available domain names from the domain name search result above. You would simply click the Add to Cart button and pay for your domain name. It’s that simple.
Be sure to do your research not only for keywords but also on other sites that are similar to your chosen niche. Researching other sites will give you ideas on how you want to set up and structure your site.
I hope you’ve enjoyed learning how to choose a domain name for your website. If you have any questions on any of the material here, please comment below.