If you are wondering is Lionbridge a scam, I’ll reveal my own personal experience in this Lionbridge review. In looking for work at home opportunities, you may have come across Lionbridge in your Internet search travels. It’s a company that’s been around for a long time and has work from home opportunities available in many countries. Yes, these are real jobs!
Internet Assessor Jobs
Your job as an Internet Assessor means that you will be performing Internet searches based on specific search queries. Your focus may be for different media such as social media, websites, ads or videos.
Based on the search results, your job will be to determine if the results closely match the search query you keyed in. You then have to click a box in a proprietary browser which indicates whether the site matches the search term or not.
I gave Lionbridge a try about a year ago and did this work for a few weeks but did not get the job. There were times when I logged in and found that there weren’t any tasks to do. In hindsight, it was a learning experience. I eventually moved on and found a way I could make my own income from home.
The Technical Bit
- First off, you will need to make sure that you have an updated operating system and good anti-virus software. This is important because you may be reviewing sites that are questionable and may have viruses. That is outside the control of Lionbridge.
- You will also need a high-speed Internet connection
- Create a separate user account on your computer and give the account the Standard privileges. This is especially important if you share a computer with someone else in your household. This will help protect your computer. If you are working under an Administrator account and click on a questionable site, a virus may be able to infect your admin account and can even lock you out. Using a Standard account is much safer because the viruses are limited to the privileges of the user.
- Set up a separate email account that is only used for this work. This is a great way to keep all your work email in one place.
- You will have to pass an exam in order to be hired.
If You Get Hired
Working at Lionbridge means that you are a contractor. You are not an employee of the company. With that in mind, you don’t have any benefits. And as an outside contractor, you will also be responsible for your own taxes.
Also keep in mind that you will have to do a lot of studying in order to comply with the instructions on evaluating web sites. That is time you won’t be paid for.
As for a salary, my research has found that the hourly rate is around $13.50 per hour. But you won’t necessarily make $13.50 an hour because you are paid by the task. So if there are no tasks available or you work slower, you will be paid less.
- Flexible hours
- Work from home
- Jobs available throughout the U.S. and other countries
- No phone work
- No membership or sign-up fee
- No benefits
- No raise in salary
- Work is not steady
- No advancement
- Unpaid training
- Hours are not guaranteed
While there are many jobs available at Lionbridge, there was only one work from home job in the U.S. at the time of this review. The job was for a Rater. The job description is similar to an Internet Assessor job. There are other jobs you may be qualified for that may be in your area so it’s worth checking the site.
To view other jobs, you have to do a search by country and not all countries are represented. But there is a decent list of countries available. You can also find other in-house jobs if that’s what you are looking for.
So is Lionbridge a scam? No. If you get hired, you could make some money here but the work may not be steady. The unpaid training is not a great incentive either. There’s also a chance that you could go through all the unpaid training and fail the test. And while jobs are available outside the U.S., they are hard to come by. The hourly pay is a bit misleading. When I tested this out, you were only paid by the task. If you are interested in jobs that pay by the task, check out my Amazon Mechanical Turk Review.
I hope you have found this review helpful in your search for real work at home jobs. If you would like to start your own home business, click here. You’ll learn step by step how to create your own online income. If you are a member of Lionbridge or have any questions, please leave a comment below.
To your success!
Hi! I’m Alanna Birmingham and I’m the founder of the Empty Nester Blog. This site is focused on helping empty nesters earn extra income in their spare time or full time. I’ve been making my own money online since 2012. I got started for free. You can too. Click this link to get started.